Wednesday, May 30, 2012

19 months and other random life stuff

We stopped for his first ice cream cone
at Runza after grocery shopping.
He loved it.
I am about 2 weeks late..but James is 19 months going on 3 years old! It's so fun listening to him pick up a new word everyday and a little scary because he is also copying every word I say. I am really trying to be conscious of what I say. I tend to add the adjective "dumb" to a lot of nouns for some reason so I am trying to stop saying that. I also say "cuz" a lot and I am trying to not be as lazy and say "because". I'm sure there are other things but those are the two for now that I have noticed. 

My aunt, Renee, was in town from Colorado this weekend and she is a French teacher. She was talking to me about how important it is for James to be hearing the sounds of another language right now. If he doesn't pick up the native sound by age 8, he will never be able to have that sound. So my plan is to buy an app on my phone so she can begin hearing the native Spanish language sounds.  Then once he is 3 or 4 we can get him in a class or have a mentor or someone come over and talk to him. It just seems like it's so needed these days to know another language and it would help him to be able to acquire it rather than have to learn it. (me using the word quiche is just another word to me even though it is a french word. If he learns Spanish young then the whole language would be like that to him)

Speaking of my aunt, we had a lot of family in town this weekend. It actually started last Wednesday with my Great Aunt Lois in town (my grandpa's sister) from South Carolina.  So we were at my grandma's house for dinner on Wednesday and Thursday. Then Renee (mom's sister) came on Thursday, and Kathy (my grandma's sister) got here Sunday. So we have been eating a lot and playing a lot of pitch! My favorites! Although all the yummy dessert did not help my "no sweets" plan to get back into a swimming suit this summer. Ugh, I can't believe how I can't resist dessert anymore! Pregnancy totally changed my taste buds and now I can't resist chocolate. I was hoping once I was working out again I would be able to say no a little easier. But then in the back of my head there is a voice that says, "you are nursing, that is an extra 500 calories..you can have the treat." then one treats turns into another one later that day..so then I've surpassed the 500 calorie mark and I'm not losing my belly. I actually do really well during the day when I'm home by myself. It's at night or when I'm around my family that I want to devour anything that might have a little sugar in it...especially chocolate.

I have been really proud of my workouts lately though. I am so thankful Mike makes it work so that I can go workout. He goes at 5am so I can go when he gets back at 6:30 and he gets both boys showered and feeds James breakfast. It's such a nice break for me, plus it gets me energized for the rest of the day. I've been lifting and doing sprints on the treadmill for about 2 weeks now (I go 4 times a week).  I have been waking up sore and it feels great knowing I am gaining my strength back. I do a different group of muscles each day. Monday is leg day, Tuesday is chest/back, Wednesday I don't get to go because Mike leaves the house at 7, Thursday is bicep/triceps, and Friday is shoulders/abs. I do it this way because this is what I know from working out in college. I do 3 exercises for each body part and 3 sets of 10 reps.

I literally hate sprints, but they are the fastest way to burn fat and you burn fat longer even after you are done working out. So every time I think, "oh I'll just run today". That little voice (must be the opposite one telling me to eat the treats), tells me "but you can sprint for 10 minutes and burn a lot more calories than running for 30 minutes and it you get done some much faster!" so then I'm sprinting again. Here is the routine I've been following:

Warm up 1 minute at 4.5mph

min 2-2:30 sprint at 9.0, rest for 30 seconds

min 3-3:30 sprint at 9.1, rest for 30 seconds

minute 4-4:30 sprint at 9.2, rest for 30 seconds

minute 12-12:30 sprint at 10.0, rest for 30 seconds

cool down for 1 minute at 3.0

So I continue that same pattern all the way up to 10 mph, which equals 11 sprints.  It helps you keep track of how many sprints you've done too because you move up 0.1 each sprint, which helps because I was losing track of the number I had run and I can't stand not knowing :) I also had been doing a sprint and then slowing down to a walk in between, but it takes so much time for the treadmill to pick up speed and slow down that I wasn't getting in a long enough sprint, so now I'm just stepping off to the side and completely resting. I can tell already that I can sprint longer than when I started. On the last couple of sprints I try to do more than 30 seconds since I know I'm almost done.  I know it will all be worth it soon..I just wish it would show faster! And my hips have to move back and I can't speed that up (the most frustrating part!)

loves the hose
Besides working out in the morning, I am also chasing around James all day! He is a mover. Mostly "side" he loves to be outside and if you don't take him out he's on to asking the next person. He loves to go on walks, play at the park, learning to ride his trike, play in sand, and if there is water around he is in it.
eating an apple like a big boy
can't get enough of the zoo
so big on his bike
                       
He is talking non-stop and will tell stories and ask questions. He is finishing more and more words each day. My favorite one lately is, "toming" he wants to know if grandma or grandpa is "toming" over. He puts 3 words together to form a sentence sometimes. The other day he said, "pop.james.eat" because I was eating popcorn and he wanted it too. He loves the cinnamon pieces! :) He has made up is own way to say the L on the end of a word...pool=pooie, tool=toie. He is understanding so well too. I asked him to go get me the "rag" (a burp rag) and he got the rag and came to me and said, "see? puke" He is so funny.
loves playing in the pool
on the train at camp Sonshine





















He is still sleeping so well in his bed. We started putting Eli in his crib last week and James hasn't woken up to Eli cry in the middle of the night once. It's worked out so well..praise the Lord.

Potty training..I had to take a step back from the underwear. I was taking him potty every 30 minutes and he'd still have wet pants. So I decided he didn't know how to hold it yet. So we've been wearing a diaper, but still going at specific times (before/after nap, before we go outside, before/after bath). He'll go potty every time I put him on, but his diaper is still wet most of the time. So we're still working at it. He is doing great pooping in the toilet though. He will come up to me and give a little "ugh.ugh" grunting sound and that means he has to go. It's cute.

When he's on the toilet we have 2 books he can choose between for me to read to him. So he chooses the book and I read, but he finishes the page. He knows the last word on each page! And in one of the books we count different objects and he counted to seven on his own the other day. I start him and say, "one" and point to the objects and he went up to seven..it was shocking, but so fun to hear :)

James is so funny because he knows whose car belongs to who. He knows Lyndi's, mom's, Ali's, both of Grant's, dad's, grandma and grandpa's. So then when we are driving down the street he will see a car that is the same color or even the same car and say, "ma?" It's hilarious that he has such a good memory. He does the same thing with people's houses. We'll be driving down the street by Mike's work and he says, "daddy..matt" He knows that's daddy's work and he works with Matt. Or he'll see the street we turn to go to Zach's house and he'll say, "yack, yack. talk. julie." He wants me to call Julie, Zach's mom, so that he can play with Zach. It makes me die laughing..you never know what he's going to say.

He loves little Eli. He loves to give him kisses and shake his hand. He wants to share the blanket with him when Eli is on the floor. But he also gets a little excited sometimes and wants to hit his belly, or be ornery and put his feet on him. So he's testing the limits a bit with him sometimes and trying to get some attention, but he does pretty well if I redirect and then give him positive attention for something else.
I wanted to take a picture of Eli and he wanted
in on it and laid down so nicely..such a fun
picture!
So busy and so much learning..both for the boys and mommy! It's a lot of fun, but a lot of work! Again, I am so thankful for my family always willing to "take the baton" as we say. So excited for summer and all it involves!

No comments:

Post a Comment