Thursday, April 26, 2012

the joys of potty training..

       SO BIG!!!
James has done a great job of pooping in the toilet now for 3.5 weeks. Only 2 accidents. It's been awesome. But I have been dreading the potty part because you can't tell when he's going until it's too late..and he goes potty a lot more often in a day than he poops! So I have been putting it off.
We did the pull ups for a couple days and it did make it a lot easier to put him on the toilet, but he (and I) couldn't tell if he was pottying in his pants..so I felt like there was no difference from a diaper. So yesterday I decided to jump on in and go all the way. I put him in big boy underwear! I knew it was suppose to be nice outside so we could spend most of the day out there and not worry about accidents on the carpet

So first we started off by watching daddy mow the backyard. We had been out there for about 30 minutes so I asked him if he had to potty. He said no..and then I see a stream of pee running down his leg. I pick him up and run him to the toilet and we change underwear and shorts. I put a diaper on him for his nap and we started all over when he woke up.

We put some new underwear on and I told him to tell me when he needed to go. We were playing inside and I asked him if he had to go and he said yeah so I picked him up..and his pants were a little wet. So we got another pair of underwear.

 Then we were about to go to a playdate and he's standing in the kitchen..after we had just sat on the toilet and he didn't go pee...and a puddle is forming on the floor! So we got our 4th pair of underwear on at 1:00. The afternoon went great though. I was afraid that since we were playing with friends he wouldn't want to take the time to sit on the toilet, but he went for me easily and had no accidents.

Until Daddy got home. Then we went through another 2 pair in 30 minutes.
So today we started day 2.  He did great until lunch. He was in his highchair eating and said, "potty." I asked him if he had to go and he said yeah, so I was getting him out and saw his shorts were wet. So we went to the toilet and finished. We get back to his seat and see that there is a puddle under the highchair! He had gone quite a bit of potty! So I helped him clean that up.

Then we were sitting at the table at my mom's for lunch and he looked up at me with a worried face and I go, "gotta pee?" he said yeah..so I pick him up and we start heading to the toilet and I feel my shirt getting warm! We got to the toilet and he had definately peed on me.
But I have a litle hope because at least he knew he was going this time and could tell me. So that's a little bit of progress? This evening we went through another 3 pairs of underwear before we went to our night time diaper.

And then to top it off..I was feeding Eli and I feel my shirt is getting warm again! Yep..I was peed on twice today. It's been a long two days..with a lot of laundry! I pray it doesn't take too many more days before James catches on! I know we are doing this earlier than a lot of people, but I feel like he's capable. Please pray for us! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment