Thursday, March 15, 2012

17 months

James is almost a year and a half. Unbelievable. It's amazing how quickly the time passes. I heard a great quote on Tuesday at Mums that really got to me.

   "The days go by slowly, but the years go by quickly."

Simple but so true! There are some days that I can't believe I still have 3 hours left until Mike comes home. And then it's already been a year and a half since I've had him and one more month until we have another one! It just really reminded me how intentional I need to be each day with my boys. Of course there are times when I am going to text back and forth with my sister while James is playing, but I really need to use the everyday play times and conversations to remind them about God's love for them and his desire to be in relationship with them. We only get to be their primary influence for such a short time!

James is of course surprising me everyday with the things he learns. Here's what he's been up to this month:

*Still napping twice a day, the length varies especially the past couple days since we switched him to his big boy bed (more on that in a bit). It's usually at least an hour each nap.

*Eating great. He loves waffles for breakfast with peanut butter on top. He then shares mom and dad's oatmeal. He loves the blueberries we put on it. He eats whatever I'm having for lunch and whatever I make for dinner. He has cheerios with raisins for a snack before bed.

*Can name the parts of the face. Last month I forgot to mention that he could point to the eyes, nose, mouth and ears. But this month he can name the eyes and nose.

*Loves to get the mail. Anytime we get home he does his sign for keys and says, "mmmmaaii" because he loves to walk up to the cluster box with me.

*Seems like he's got a new form of a word everyday. Some of his new ones are "ssss" for sand, "sww" for swing, "neigh" for neighbor, "bey" for belly, "d" for drink, "rai" for raisin, "bi" for bike, "aee" for ali, "wha" for Lux,  "wwa" for (gpa Russ)..it's so cute because the R sound is so hard he works so hard with his mouth to say it. He's real sure of what he's saying so if I don't get it right away he gets a little frustrated!

*No progress on potty training.  oh how I was hoping he'd be out of diapers before we have another one in them!

I mentioned above that we moved him to his big bed. We did that Saturday night. I was really nervous that I'd have to be up all night putting him back in or that he'd be crying all night again. He did awesome. He laid down and started to whimper so I laid down and patted him and sang Jesus Loves you for a little while and then left the room while he was still awake. He fell asleep a little bit later without even moving. He fell out (we have pillows on the ground, but no rail on his bed) around midnight so I went in and got him back in and he fell right back to sleep and slept the rest of the night! Naps on Sunday were a little more difficult. He took two 20 minute naps. I would stay in there a couple minutes and pat his back and sing to him and then leave. Well thanks to my video monitor I could see he was peeking out his window and rolling around. Needless to say that night he was exhausted and didn't even wake up in the night once. Monday he took two 40 min naps and I was only in his room for about 10 mins each time before he went down. Tuesday night he woke up once crying, so I went in and patted him and he had to kinda whine himself back to sleep. Wednesday he's taken two one hour long naps! I think he's gotten used to the space! He's never gotten out to walk around his room, he always waits for us to come get him. I couldn't have gone any better. Thank you Jesus.

Eli is still swimming away. I went to the dr yesterday and I was 2cm and fully effaced. He had moved back up a little bit and I lost 2lbs. My mom says those are sure signs he's getting ready to make his entrance!

The weather has been beautiful here the past couple of days so James and I have been outside as much as we possibly can. Today we even got to get a water bucket out..he loved it. Here are a couple pictures.
This is how the afternoon started out..
Starting to get a little wet...
So we took the clothes off. Still drinking the water...
Then he decided he needed to dump it out...
So I got more water and he decided to get in the bucket!
And then he needed to wash his clothes :) Needless to say he had a great time.






No comments:

Post a Comment