Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pinteresty Day

Lyndi and I were chatting the other day on facebook about what we were going to do this coming weekend. We didn't have anything on our calendars so we decided we quickly needed to plan something so we didn't sit bored all day Saturday. To some people it might stress them out..but I like to have a plan. So we decided to bake! We looked through our boards on Pinterest and planned out what we wanted to make and got the ingredients ahead of time. Lyndi wanted to make sugar cookies (which I was against because there was no chocolate involved!) and I wanted to make a chocolate bread pudding. Well we couldn't find the right bread at the "day old bread store" for the bread pudding so we decided on a cinnamon pull apart bread instead. I know..no chocolate! Don't worry though, even without the chocolate, the recipes we made today are fantastic. And then last minute we decided to make a cherry smoothie with our dinner. I have to say. I wasn't disappointed in any of our recipes today. Let me show you the goods...

Here are our sugar cookies. The recipe claims they taste just like Eileen's sugar cookies..and they do. You have to make them!  I will tell you we didn't make our own frosting because there were several ingredients that we didn't have on hand and we didn't want to buy just for this recipe. So we just used store bought frosting..and they still tasted delish.



Here are two pictures of the Cinnamon pull apart bread that we made. I will say ours didn't look as amazing as the picture on pinterest. But it did taste pretty darn good. There are a few things I'd recommend if you decided make it. I got ahead of myself in cutting the bread and it makes it more difficult to put the honey vanilla butter inside the cuts if you don't follow the directions exactly. Make sure to get the butter spread evenly all over the bread or you will get some of the sourdough taste.

As Lyndi and I were trying this bread out we were discussing where you could serve this and we had a hard time coming up with the perfect location. It's great if you and your sister are just sitting at the counter digging in, but might be a little more difficult to serve at a brunch because the pieces don't tear off into nice pieces to put on your plate. Maybe I didn't cut it deep enough. Lyndi thought you could maybe cut it all the way through and then put toothpicks in each piece. Try it out and let me know what you decide!


And here is the cherry smoothie we tried out. The smoothie comes from Dr. Oz and claims it will help you fall asleep faster and keep your metabolism buring through the night. Of course the picture on pinterest looks a lot more enticing than our picuture..but it still tasted great and was so simple. And if the claim is true then you should probably make this smoothie every night!

The smoothie seperated pretty quickly and the top of the smoothie became pretty foamy. I'm not sure what caused this. We used almond milk instead of the soy (which is actually the ingredient that is suppose to cause you to doze easier. We had almond milk on hand and didn't think we should try to make ourselves tired at 5:00pm) so I don't know if that one ingredient change made a difference or not. But it still tasted great. I love the tartness of the cherries.




We had a lot of fun making our treats today...and actually got to try some of the stuff that I spend my time pinning! Thanks Lyndi for a fun day! Here are a couple other pictures we took today while cooking and trying out the treats.

           Mike was really enjoying himself.









                                              James loves to help!






And he loves treats. He got his mother's sweet tooth!


1 comment:

  1. I like my picture. It looks like I was helping.

    ReplyDelete